- What type of God do you believe in?
- What did Adam do?
- What was the punishment?
- What do you have to do to be saved?
- What did Christ do to save us?
- How did he do that?
- What is:- Faith? Repentance? Baptism? Laying on of hands?
- What is baptism for?
- Who can 'call' a man?
- What does 'administer' mean?
- What is the Primitive Church?
- What position is 'evangelist' in the LDS church?
- Where does the 7th AoF come from?
- Is the Book of Mormon translated correctly?
- What do you believe pertaining to the Kingdom of God
- What does pertaining mean?
- Where will Zion be built?
- What type of glory will the earth be renewed to?
- According to 'what' should we be allowed to worship God?
- Why should we not criticize others for how or whom they worship?
- Do others criticise us for what we worship?
- Who should you be subject to?
- What do you do about the law of the land?
- What does 'benevolent' mean?
- What is an 'admonition'?
- What do you 'seek after'?
Children love fun and games and treats. When I teach the A of F my valients have to say the A of F correctly to get a go at the game, and score in the game to win treats.
The games are more of a challenge type.
Magnetic dart board - stand on a chair and drop 2 darts onto the board on the floor, if they land on 1 line they win 1 pebble, on 2 or more lines they get 2 pebbles. If they land in a space or outside no pebbles.
Timer - that counts up as you hold the button down. It counts fast, they have to stop it on 20. three goes, get 3 pebbles every time they win.
Magnet Drag - place 3 coins on table about twice the width of the magnet apart, they have to drag a disc magnet around and through the coins with another magnet. watch them jump when the magnet jumps. Two goes 3 pebbles when they win.
Mini Basket ball - basket that clips over the door or blackboard, three goes, 2 pebbles for a basket. You can do similar with Ball in the Bucket or hoops over an upturned chair leg.
Article of Faith Board - roll a marble around an obstacle course on a board. Shown in Skill Games.
I have a woodpecker that rocks down a verticle pole pecking away, it takes about 10 secs. Its a real race to say the 4th A of F and beat it. You could use a timer or stopwatch to time them.
Ask for 2 or 3 volunteers, give them a biscuit or dry cracker each. They race to see who can be first to say the A of F after eating the biscuit without spitting out crumbs.
Put the children into teams to sort out pasta alphabets into the A of F.
Cut up two of the big A of F charts into word strips so that you have two envelopes of each A of F. Have individuals or team races.
Call out a word from an A of F that is not in the other A of Fs, the children have to tell you which it is from.
Have two teams. Put word strips of the A of F in two balloons, they have to burst their balloon then piece words together.
Stick word strips on the ceiling or high on the wall with tiny piece of blue tack, they have to remove them in order of place with a pole that has a large piece of blue tack tied onto the end.
Collect enough cardboard 1 ltr milk cartons for one each for your class. Keyboard on the computer 'Childs name' 13th Article Of Faith - Popcorn Challenge in 28 font size to cover 1 quarter of A4 sheet. Then type the 13th Article of Faith in 20 font size to cover 1 quarter A4 sheet. Copy and paste these to cover the other half. Use coloured paper if you have it. Stick the sheet along one edge of the carton wrap it round and stick it back onto the end again, the sheet is slightly longer than the 4 sides of the box. Cook popcorn and fill a couple of boxes, staple the top. Choose the two best children on A of F and give them a challenge to take it home and learn the 13th A of F before they eat the popcorn and come and tell the class the 13th A of F the next week. Then the following week you give the challenge to two more Children. If a child has eaten the popcorn but does not know the 13th A of F you ask them if they are trustworthy. Have they betrayed your trust. Teach the others about the 2nd A of F the similarity of Adam eating the forbidden fruit, not a sin, a transgression. Explain that now no one else can have the challenge untill he/she has completed their challenge, so to come back next week knowing the 13th A of F. Use peer pressure. Use tough love.
This is a quick test - 2 mins only. Read all the questions first then answer as many as you can correctly, starting at number 1. Write your name in the top R.H. corner.
- EVIL Change one letter and read in reverse to give the opposite meaning - _ _ _ _
- What is the 4th Article of Faith about?
- Which brother of Nephi wrote in the book of Mormon?
- What was Nephi's fathers name?
- Who was the brother of James son of Zebedee?
- What was Peter the Apostle's other name?
- Who was the first of Jesus' Apostles to die, and who replaced him?
- Who is President of the Quorum of the Twelve now?
- Who is 3rd Counsellor in the 1st Presidency of the Church?
- Do not answer any of the questions. Sit with your arms folded and wait, this is an obedience test
Before answering number 6 - call out that you are onto 6
You have three minutes to answer as many questions as you can. Write your name on the dotted line first. ....................................................................
- Who blew the trumpet that caused the walls of Jericho to fall down?......................................
- What was the name of the harlot that Alma's son Shiblon associated with?................................
- What was the name of Lehi's third oldest son?..................................
- What was the name of the son the father of Abraham was going to sacrifice?......................
- What is the statue of Mormon on the Salt Lake Temple coated with?...........................
- Alma relates the story of Nehor, the Anti Christ. What type of death did he suffer? Place a tick alongside the correct answer.
Adapted from the Survivor games on TV. In this case senior sharing time members were shipwrecked and there is only one liferaft capable of supporting one team, members (15 children) divided into 3 teams.
Questions were asked and the first person from any team to answer correctly enabled their team to board the raft. the team leaving had 3 seconds to be clear of the raft or they could not participate in the next question. The raft we used was an inflatable Super Surf as used in a swimming pool, you could use an inflatable mattress or get the young men to make a raft for you, or tie some inner tubes together. As an added incentive those surviving on the raft were allowed rations every four minutes (using a timer), which consisted of a table spoon each of mueseli with lots of dried fruit in it.
Article of Faith Questions (answer according to the A of F ie. Q2 Adam partook of the forbidden fruit, although correct is not the answer.)
1 What sort or type of God? (1) Eternal Father (not Heavenly). 2 What did Adam do? (2) Transgressed. 3 What do we have to be obedient to, to be saved? (3) Laws and Ordinances. 4 "All mankind ...... be saved" (3) may (write question large on paper). 5 The fourth A of F is about what? (4) Principles and ordinances. 6 Repentance of what? (4) Sins. 7 What type of Baptism? (4) by immersion. 8 What was the baptism for? (4) remmission of sins. 9 What does "remmission of sins" mean? (4) Washed away, Removed, Forgiven. 10 How other than baptism can you get your sins remmitted? (4) Repentance. 11 (4) Which category, description, element of the Gospel, does 'laying on of hands' come under? Ordinances. 12 When a man is called of God what does the person calling him have to be able to do with the ordinances? (5) Administer. 13 How does he perform this administering? (5) Laying on of Hands. 14 When was the 'Primitive Church'? (6) AD 30 - 60?. 15 The primitive Church had, apostles, prophets, teachers and evangelists, who else? (6) Pastors.
Some of these questions the children were able to answer quickly but others like the 'Primitive Church' they had no idea and needed a lot of coaxing. These questions I ask to make children think instead of just learning parrot fashion.
Now you have the idea you can make up your own questions for the rest of the Articles of Faith.
One of the surviving skills for those marooned on the island was to obtain food, one of the best fresh foods available was fish so skill in fishing was important.
- Divide members into two or more teams, each member takes a turn fishing.
- Fishing rod each team, made of dowel stick or bamboo with a magnet on a line tied on it.
- Fish made of cardboard with a steel paper clip on the mouth. A set of these, different colour for each team.
One word from various A of Fs on each fish, number them for ease of marking.
Place chairs in a large circle with the fish inside, most out of dangle reach. If they hook the wrong colour fish the team get some form of penalty that takes them a short time to do. (Throw 3 rings over legs of upturned chair one throw each, or ball into bucket 3 times).
Team have to answer on their sheet which A of F before fishing the next word, have word under fish.
Team with the most correct answers in the allotted time wins a chocolate fish each, or if one team finish stop the game and check answers for all teams.
David Redmond, Te Awamutu Branch
What was the boat called that Moses Built?
The Ark was how long?
How long (time) was the Ark afloat till they sighted land?
Why did Noah Build the Ark a long way from the sea?
Why did Noah build the Ark?
How did Noah know there was dry land?
When the Israelites Escaped from the Egyptians - Did they cross the Red Sea -
When Moses was little he went for a trip along the river, what type of boat did he use?
What was the name of the River?
Who found him?
When Lehi's party arrived at Land Bountifull, how long did they wait before they built their ship.
How long did it take them to reach The Promised Land?
Where is the Promised Land?
What was the name of the first people who crossed the sea to the Promised Land?
What type of boats did Jarom Build?
What did The Brother of Jared light his boats with?
How many boats did the Jaredites Build?