Low Fat Saturates
Eggless Sponge Cake
- 1/2 can (400 grams for full can) condensed milk
- 140 grams (5 oz.) self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 60 ml. (2 fl. oz.) melted butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda bi-carbb together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence and 75 ml. (2 1/2 fl. oz.) water and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 150 mm. (6") diameter tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 10 minutes. Then reduce the tempreture to 150 degree C (300 degree F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch. When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- Cool the cake.