Low fat. Low sugar.
- 1 and 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- any spices, dried fruit or other dry ingredients as required
Sift all together.
In separate bowl put
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 Tbs. cooking oil
- 1 Tb. sugar or equivalent of substitute
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup apple puree
- 2 tsp. vinegar mixed in 2 Tbs. water
Stir all wet ingredients together, adding any wet fruit desired.
If using dried fruit, use 1/2 cup apple puree. If using wetter fruit, such as blueberries, then reduce apple puree to 1/4 cup.
- 1/2 cup sultanas & 1 tsp. mixed spice & 1 tsp. gr. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sultanas & 1/2 cup chopped almonds, or toasted peanuts
- 1 cup Christmas fruit mix with 1 tsp. mixed spice & 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup grated cheese, 2 Tbs. grated onion or 2 heaped tsp. onion stock powder, 2 cooked chopped rashers bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped luncheon meat and 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup grated carrot & 1 tsp. mixed spice & 1 tsp. gr. cinnamon & 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, or other berries, no need to thaw first
- 2 large or 3 small mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 can fruit salad, or other fruit, drained, 400g.
- 1 cup bran with 2 Tb. golden syrup mixed in 1/2 cup boiling water. Also 1/2 cup sultanas.
- 1 cup grated cheese, with 2 Tbs. grated onion and 1 cup sweetcorn kernels or creamed corn,
Combine all ingredients together and pour into well greased muffin tins or paper cases. Bake for about 15 minutes at 180 C. (350 F.) till golden and firm to touch. Cool on wire cooler.
When cooled split and top with drained yoghurt. Pour yoghurt into sieve and allow to drip for 1/2 hour till drained and firm.
- 1 cup milk with 2 tsp vinegar in it to thicken it
- 3/4 cup sultanas with 1/4 cup sugar in it
- 2 cups self-raising flour/ or plain flour plus 2 tsp baking powder
Mix all together. Pour into greased tin and bake at 180 C for about 30 mins or until golden and cooked right through.