Pour 2 tsp. vinegar into 3/4 cup milk and leave to stand 5 minutes. Set oven to 220 degrees C.
Into a large bowl put
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
Mix all together and pour in thickened milk and 1 Tbsp. oil or melted buter. Work all together to form a dough, but do not beat. Tip dough out on to a well-floured work surface and form into a large 'lump'. Cut into 5cm squares or rounds, roll them lightly in the flour and place on a greased tray. Place in oven and reset oven to 200 degrees C. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from tray and cool on wire rack.
- 1/2 cup sultanas & 1 tsp. mixed spice & 1 tsp. gr. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder and extra 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup grated cheese, 2 Tbs. grated onion or 2 heaped tsp. onion stock powder, 2 cooked chopped rashers bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped luncheon meat and 1/2 cup chopped tomato